Frequently asked questionsLast update: 19, February 2021
• What is Incredibox ?
Incredibox is a music app for creating your own music with the help of a merry crew of beatboxers. Part game, part tool, Incredibox is above all an audio and visual experience that introduces kids and adults to notions of rhythm and melody - in double-quick time!
• How does it work?
- Drag and drop icons onto the avatars to make them sing and start to compose your own music.
- Find the right sound combos to unlock animated choruses that will enhance your tune.
- Once your composition sounds great, just save it and you will get a link to your mix. You can easily share it with anybody so they can listen and even vote for it.
- If you share your mix a lot and get enough votes from other users, you may go down in Incredibox history by joining the Top 50 chart.
• At what age can I play Incredibox?
At all ages! Below you can check Incredibox's IARC certification (International Age Rating Coalition).
Incredibox is also used by many teachers and schools all over the world, as an educational tool allowing kids to discover the basics of musical creation. The app has been rewarded by the AASL (American Association of School Librarians) in the category of the Best Apps 2018 for Teaching & Learning. Plus, we added a Safe mode option in the app that can be enabled for kiddos.
• Who is behind Incredibox?
We are 3 creators on this project, Allan DURAND (Director, code & animation), Romain DELAMBILY (Design & illustration) and Paul MALBURET (Music & sound design). You can find more informations about our team by visiting our websiste SO FAR SO GOOD and by watching this interview (english subtitles).
• Who produce the music on Incredibox?
It’s Paul MALBURET a.k.a Incredible Polo! You can find more informations about him and listen his last sounds by visiting his personnal Bandcamp.
• On which platforms can I play Incredibox?
Incredibox is available on computer, smartphone and tablet devices. You can try the free demo before downloading the paid app.
• The demo (free)
- You can try 4 versions of Incredibox from your computer by visiting the website.
- You can try 1 version of Incredibox from your iOS and Android device by installing the demo.
• The full experience (paid app)
- For iOS device (since march 2016). The app is compatible iOS8 et iPad 3+, iPhone 4S+, iPod Touch 5+.
- For Android device (since december 2017). The app is compatible Android 5.1 Lollipop and more.
- For Mac OSX (since november 2018). The desktop app is compatible OSX 10.9 and higher.
- For PC Windows (since december 2018). The desktop app is compatible Windows 10.
• Can I use Incredibox content for my project?
It depends of your project type! Commercial or not? The music you've created and/or downloaded on Incredibox can only be use for private use, non-commercial projects and educational projects.
To go straight to the point, if you are planing to generate revenues (to make money) with your project you CAN'T use the Incredibox content. Incredibox is the property of the SO FAR SO GOOD company. All content from Incredibox (music/design/code/etc.) is copyrighted and covered by intellectual property rights (See #3 in the legal notices).
Here is a non-exhaustive list of examples:
• I want to sell/monetize a music including content from Incredibox (Streaming/CD/Live) -> You can't.
• I want to include Incredibox content in a game/app/website that will be sold/monetized/distributed -> You can't.
• I want to sell physical and/or digital product (CD/T-shirt/merch/video/audio) including Incredibox content -> You can't.
• I want to use Incredibox content for promoting my company/service (revenues will be generated indirectly) -> You can't.
• I'm a YouTuber, I want to monetize a video including content from Incredibox -> If you want to make a review, a demo, a live gaming, a tribute or if you just want to talk about Incredibox, you can do it (video monetization is tolerated in these cases). Please indicate clearly in your video or in the description that content used in your video is from Incredibox and please include a link to incredibox.com.
To all Incredibox's fans making quality content talking about our work, huge thanks from the team for helping us promoting Incredibox!
• Why all characters represented in Incredibox are male?
There is only one character in Incredibox, which is repeated 7 times onto the stage. This black and white character (which is also our logo) is a boy purely and simply because: this is the Paul's caricature, the voice behind the Incredibox project!
All sounds you can hear in Incredibox comes from one unique person: Paul (aka Incredible Polo). This particularity (one-man band) gave us the idea of the Incredibox gameplay. Our game concept is based on the fact that one unique character is able to play different sounds loop depending on the costume he wears.
• What is the Incredibox album?
For the 10th anniversary of Incredibox (2009 - 2019) we decided to make a unique album for all our fans. This album is a remastered collection of the 7 versions of our game. Each musical style has been (wonderfully) rearranged by Incredible Polo, the musician of our team. You can listen this album for free on more than 150 streaming platforms. For physical albums lovers, we also made a very limited edition of it (CD and vinyl) that you can get on our official Bandcamp.
• What languages are available in the game?
- The website is available in English.
- The app has been translated into 23 languages: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese Traditional, Chinese Simplified, English, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian Spanish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese.
• Does the game need to be connected to internet to run?
- On your computer you need an internet connection to access the website.
- In app, internet will only be necessary to access the Top 50 chart or to share your mixes.
• What is a mix?
What we call a mix on Incredibox is the musical composition you create when playing.
• Can I record a mix?
Yes! Click the Record button and the recording of your mix starts immediately. All actions you do will be recorded (add a sound, remove a sound, mute, solo, launch a bonus, ...). You have around 3 minutes to express yourself as a musician/composer! Once your recording is over, you have to fill a Save form. Then you have several choices:
• Store your mix locally in your Mixlist (only using the paid app)
• Set it public/private (paid app)
• Export it as an audio file (paid app)
• Share it via URL (both using free demo and paid app)
• Can I share my mix?
Yes! After filling the Save form, your mix is ready to be shared. Once a mix is saved on Incredibox, we give it a unique URL. You can share this URL via email, social networks or whatever of your choices. People clicking your link will be redirected to incredibox.com and be able to watch and listen your mix via an embedded player on our website. People are able to vote for your mix by clicking the Like button. If you get enough votes, you may join the Top 50 chart!
• Can my mix be public/private?
Yes, this is possible from the paid app. When you save a mix, you can choose to set it to public or private. If the Safe mode is enabled, the saved mix will be automatically set as private.
• Public: your mix will appear publicly within the Incredibox app and website. Anyone could see it on the web. Your mix will compete for the Top 50 selection.
• Private: your mix won't appear within the app and website. When a mix is private, it can't compete for the Top 50 selection. However, your mix can still be shared thanks to its link/URL, this let you the control of sharing it only with people fo your choice.
• Can I download an audio file of my mix?
This feature is only available from the paid app. From your Mixlist, select your mix then click the Download button. Your mix will be convert as a downloadable MP3 file.
• Can I use my mix for a project?
The music you've created and/or downloaded on Incredibox can only be use for private use, non-commercial projects and educational projects. You can find usefull informations about that point in this answer.
• I can't find my mix anymore!
A mix created using our free demo stay online for around 6 months.
A mix created using the paid app stay online forever, untill you decide to delete it by yourself via your app.
Also, keep in mind that we will delete, without warning you, all mixes using inappropriate words (DJ name, title or dedication).
The Top 50
• What is the Top 50?
The Top 50 chart of Incredibox is a ranking based on the number of votes for each mix. You can watch and listen mixes created from the worldwide community of Incredibox, so you can enjoy and get inspired by each users musical creativity.
• What are the rules to be part of it?
When you save a public mix, it will automatically compete for the Top 50. It's a worldwide competition. Every votes you will get on your mix will be saved on our server. To be part of the Top 50 is quite simple, you just have to get as much votes as possible from other users. To increase your chances, you can share the link/URL of your mix to all your friends!
• Live: Shows the last 50 mixes created on Incredibox.
• Last 24hrs: Shows the best 50 mixes of the last 24 hours.
• Week: Shows the best 50 mixes of the last 7 days.
• Month: Shows the best 50 mixes of the last 30 days.
• Year: Shows the best 50 mixes of the last 365 days.
• I noticed some inappropriate words in the Top 50, what should I do?
We have set up a profanity filter to remove inappropriate words, but we can miss some of them. Please contact us specifying the words you have noticed and we will remove it ASAP. Thanks for your help!
• Why am I forced to disable the AdBlock plugin to access your website?
Without advertising-income we can't keep making Incredibox awesome! The displayed ads on the website cover our servers and maintenance costs et let us moving forward on the project. If you like to play with Incredibox for free online, be cool and disable your ad blocker!
• Are you going to add more Incredibox versions on the website?
Nope! The website is free and let you play with 4 full versions of Incredibox, you can see it as a demo of our concept, that you can try before purchasing the paid app which embed more recent version. If you want to access all versions of Incredibox, without any ads, with an improved gameplay and by storing all your mixes in one unique place, you just have to download the app for desktop, smartphone and tablet! By supporting the project you will allow us to create even more quality content 😉
• Download the Android app
• Download the iOS app
• Download the Mac OSX app
• Download the app for Windows
• Why the app isn’t free?
The app is not free mostly because it contains more versions than the website and because the gameplay/experience has been improved. We wanted to propose you a quality product, without ads or microtransactions and containing exclusive versions that you won’t find on the website. You can check all app features here.
• I bought the game for my Android device, can I play it on iOS or OSX? (and vice-versa)
Unfortunately no, Android, iOS, OSX and Windows are different OS and there is no way to transfer a purchase from an OS to a different one. However, note that you can transfer the game on several devices on the same OS.
• I got a new device so now my Mixlist is empty, can I recover all my mixes?
#1 If you still have access to your old device, it should be easy to recover your mixes. Please follow these steps:
• From your old device: open the Incredibox app then send us an email from the Feedback button you can find in the Credits section. Set the mail subject to Your name - Recover mixes (old device)
• From your new device: open the Incredibox app then send us an email from the Feedback button too. Set the mail subject to Your name - Recover mixes (new device)
• Then we will manually make the change in our database. This is not an automated process, so please be patient and wait for our answer.
• After having receive our answer, from your new device, you will have to click the Recover button from the Settings section.
#2 If you can't access your old device, it will be tricky, but not impossible! Please contact us.
• What is your refund policy?
We only refund apps that doesn’t works for technicals reasons. If you encounter an issue with the app, there’s probably a way to fix it, so please first contact us! Give us enough details about your bug so we can investigate on it. We will need: your device model and settings, your os version, the steps you did to get the bug (screenshots and video screen record are very appreciate).
If we can’t resolve it, you may ask for a refund via your iTunes account history (for the iOS/OSX app) or via your Google account history (for the Android app). For the Microsoft app, you have to contact their own support.
• What is the Safe mode (parental control)?
As a parent, you can enable this mode to be sure that your kid won't be redirected to internet from our app and won't see any content created from other users. All app's sharing functionalities, all external links and all mixes created from other users will be hidden/disabled. When the Safe mode is turned on, saved mixes get automatically the private status.
• I can’t see the characters!
It’s probably because of your IOS version (8.x.x) and we are working on this issue. However, if you want to fix this as soon as possible, you can update the IOS software on you device ( Settings > General > Software update ).
• No sound on my app!
Yes, this problem can occur in those cases:#1
Be sure that the ringing mode of your phone is turned ON. You can find this button on the side of your device.#2
Be sure the bell button in the settings panel of your device is disabled. Sometimes, this button can be enabled even if you haven’t set it. How to do:
• Open the app.
• Open the settings panel (finger swipe from bottom to top).
• Check if the bell button is unchecked (see image below).#3
Be sure the Do not disturb
mode is turned OFF
( Settings > Do not disturb
). Also, be sure the sure the Silent
mode is set on While device is locked
Sometimes, the audio system of the Incredibox app can enter in conflict with other apps running in background on your device. This problem may appears when you switch often from the app to another one. The best in this case, is to force quitting the app then relaunch it. Nothing is broken don’t worry 😉
• Sometimes the characters seems laggy!
This is annoying but it’s no big deal. This problem can appears when you leave the app for a while then come back without quitting it. The rendering process off the app can enter in conflict with many background tasks. The best to do in this case, is to force quitting the app then relaunch it. Voilà, fixed!
• The app run really slowly on my iPad 2 / iPhone 4S!
Yes, we know... Those devices starts to get old now, their performances are limited. The problem is that Apple don’t allow us to block the download of the app to some old devices. We can’t set this feature on the App Store dashboard. This is why we notified this problem in the description section of the app in the screen presentation on the App Store. If you want, you can get refund of your app via your iTunes account history.
• As a teacher, can I benefit from a group rate to offer the app to my students?
Yes, we set up a volume purchase program for schools. Take advantage of a half price by purchasing more than 20 app on the App Store. Click here to order several apps
• I can't update my app from the Google Play Store!
If the Incredibox app is already installed on your Android device but you can't launch an update from the Play Store, you can try to clear the cache and data from the Google Play Services. See the section Clear cache & data from Google Play Services.
• I can't update my app from the Amazon Store!
If you bought the app before December 2020, depending on your device model, you may not be able to access our app's updates. Amazon recently modified its list of compatible devices and now our app can't target as many devices as before. We are sorry about that and are working as best as we can on resolving this problem. Thanks for your support, understanding and patience.
• The app freeze on a white screen after launch!
To run the app on Android you need to be at least on the Android version 5.1 (Lollipop). If your Android version is lower than 5.0, the app couldn’t works. Try to launch an update of your Android version system from your device settings. If you can’t go higher than Android 5.0 and you have already bought the app, you can ask for a refund on the Play Store via your order history. Sorry for that! Update your Android version or ask for a refund.
• My device is disconnected from bluetooth!
The audio rendering process of the app can enter in conflict with bluetooth devices if they are connected (or paired) before the app launch. You have to wait after a version has been fully loaded. You can re-enable your bluetooth and pair your speakers again after a version has been loaded.
• The app run really slowly on my device!
This is probably because your device is struggling to run Incredibox due to lack of ressources or old hardware. You can try restarting it, uninstalling or stopping applications and services you don’t need, to free up processing power and RAM.
• The app run really slowly on my Mac!
We are working on this issue. If your Mac is older than 2011, then its performance may be limited. Unfortunately the Mac App Store does not allow us to refuse the download of the app on older Mac models. We can only filter downloads according to OS versions (10.9 Mavericks minimum). If you wish, you can ask for a refund through your iTunes account history.
Need more help?If you didn’ find the answer to your question, please use this form. Please note that we will only answer to precise and understandable requests, give us as much informations as possible about your problem and details about your OS name, version, device type, etc.